Monday, March 31, 2008

my holiday

has been spent on catching up on ANTM via youtube, a small (very small) work out, looking up places in SF, sewing my jeans, and general nothingness.

so my new find (thanks to Tiff) is stuff white people like.
my favorites being apple, bicycles, and, well it's all pretty funny especially coming from orange county and being around people who are actually like that.


I gave a little research to Mathangi Arulpragasam (M.I.A.) since I've only heard a couple of her songs and there's all this hype about her. Sean first introduced her to Ivan and I circa 2006? i think but now everyone is like OMG M.I.A.
So here's the scoop on her. Born in England to a Tamil activist-turned militant, she moved back to Sri Lanka when she was 6 months old. To make a long story short she, her mother and siblings had to move frequently trying to avoid the civil war/ethnic conflict with little contact from her father who was obviously involved in the struggle. Finally they ended up back in the UK as refugees. Now 11 she started to learn English and first heard Western radio from her neighbor's flats in London. She started off as an artist and designed an album cover for Elastica and went on tour with them and Peaches where she was encouraged to become a musician and the rest is history as they say.

like her because she's legit and sings about real issues. any violence in her music is about civil war, guerilla warfare, etc, not some glorified graphic sent out for shock value, if you can call that shocking anymore.

she grows on you



I think she looks like Daniel's girlfriend, Roxy and no it's not the hair

oh and ps this story isn't actually true. it's a segment called the best story ever on a canadian political news show called the hour. People usually just tell fake stories, and it's supposed to be obvious. Tom green told a story about how he almost bled to death with his ribs sticking out and he was bleeding in the bathroom for fifteen minutes.